Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I feel so pumped!

I don't have a clue which Saturday morning cartoon I watched as a kid, but there was a recurring line: "The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the sea is a smooth as glass."

Well, that pretty well describes today.

I am pumped to be standing in this classroom working with these children sharing what I am about the nature of how incredibly valuable each one of them is and how to express that glory that each of them is with lines on the page.

I just want to shout. I want to jump up and down. If I could bottle this and sell it, Bill Gates would borrow money from me.

I worked like a horse this summer figuring this stuff (engineering graphics) out. It was work. My joy came when I was able to draw a model of Ray Haroun's 1911 Marmon Wasp in which he won the first Indianapolis 500. After my class do the assigned exercise I have cobbed together, we can have "guided dork-around-with-it time" or "free-dork." Today in freedork, Julio drew Pacman eating a snake (thoroughly segmented), and Adrian drew a pirahna (all teeth and eyeballs). There'll be time for work after while. Right now I just want them to get comfortable with the tools.

My architectural graphics class, al otro mano, is harder . . .

There goes the bell . . .

Pax

2 comments:

MoMo 2.0 said...

I should be paying you part of your salary this year because I am living vicariously through your teachable moments....

HOLMES said...

What Kelli said.